Governor Cuomo has issued several Executive Orders modifying the voting process to make it easier to vote safely. These orders apply only to the Primary being held on June 23rd.
- The signature requirement of the Absentee Ballot Application has been waived, allowing electronic filing of Application/Request.
- The acceptable reason to request an Absentee Ballot due to COVID-19 concerns is “temporary illness or physical disability.”
- All Absentee Ballot Applications and/or requests must be postmarked, emailed, faxed, or phoned in, on or before June 16th. (The ballot request may also be delivered in person to the Board of Elections on or before June 22nd, but please do not go to BOE unless you have no other recourse.)
Following are all the ways for Suffolk County voters to obtain an Absentee Ballot for the Primary:
- The Suffolk County BOE is sending Absentee Ballot Applications to all registered voters who are qualified to vote in the primaries. Look for an Absentee Ballot Application in your mail. Fill it out and mail it back in the postage paid return envelope.
- Download an Absentee Ballot Application:
- Fill out the PDF online, save it as an attachment on your computer, email the attachment to the Suffolk County BOE.
- Fill out the PDF online, print it out, and mail or FAX it to the Suffolk County BOE.
- Write a letter with the following information: your name, DOB, address where you are registered to vote, address where you would like your ballot sent, and the reason for the request (use “temporary illness”.) Mail, email, or FAX the letter to the Suffolk County BOE.
- Suffolk County BOE will accept a phone call to request an Absentee Ballot. You must provide the following information: name, DOB, address where you are registered to vote, address where you would like your ballot sent, and the reason for the request (“temporary illness.”) The BOE shall keep a record of your call and may fill out an Absentee Ballot Application on your behalf. (BOE is not fully staffed due to COVID-19 mandates, so unless this option is your only recourse, please do not call.)
Suffolk County Board of Elections, PO Box 700, Yaphank, NY 11980-0700
(631) 852-4500 FAX (631) 852-4590 TTY (631) 852-4540